Skip to main content

A New Start

Two years ago I started a blog and I got as far as naming it!  I got so bogged down with all the mechanical details of it that I forgot the reason I wanted to have a blog in the first place.  This week I spent two days at the Texas Computer Education Association's annual conference in Austin and one of the first sessions I attended was on blogging.  It got me excited all over again and it gave me some real cool tools to make it a manageable task.  So here I go again!

This will be my space to rant and rave, vent and vex about education, my passion.  I am calling it "Mining for Hidden Gems" because of the following quote:

"Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.  Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures."  -Bahá'u'lláh

As a teacher, my job is to look for those gems.  The real valuable ones are not usually on the surface.  You have to dig deep to find them.

I am also borrowing from Katherine Bomer's wonderful book Hidden Gems: Naming and Teaching From the Brilliance in Every Student's Writing.  It has changed the way I look at not just student work but students themselves and all people around me.

Comments